I’m sure you’ve heard about the dangers of microwave popcorn. If you’re looking for a new healthy popcorn recipe, we’ve got you covered!
Is popcorn bad for you?
ahhhhh! It can be, depending on how you pop it.
Microwave popcorn bags can be toxic and some brands (especially at the movies) can have hidden (dangerous) ingredients, flavors & preservatives.
In fact, a FDA report indicates that the chemical coating used in microwave popcorn bags will break down when it’s heated into a substance called perfluorooctanoic (PFOA). The Environmental Protection Agency has identified PFOA as a “likely carcinogen.” PFOA is also used to make Teflon and other nonstick materials, such as pizza boxes. This chemical can stay in your body and the environment for long periods of time.
Avoid the potential hazards of microwave popcorn. Make your own. It’s so easy…and so much healthier!
If you love popcorn, consider going with air-popped with organic kernels and your own seasonings. Electric air poppers are relatively inexpensive. Good ones heat up the popcorn quickly and efficiently enough to ensure you end up with fluffy popcorn for movie night. Or make your own!
Make Your Own Coconut Oil Popcorn
1/2 Cup Organic Popping Corn
1 1/2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- Heat a large, heavy bottom pot over medium heat.
- Add the coconut oil and let it completely melt. Put a few test kernels into the pan and wait for them to pop.
- Place the rest of the popcorn seeds into the pan and cover.
- After the kernels begin popping, shake every 10 seconds until you hear the popping slow down.
- When the popping slows down to a pop every 2-3 seconds.
- Remove the pan from heat.
- Continuously shake for another 10-20 seconds so the popcorn at the bottom doesn’t burn.
- Salt to taste and enjoy.
Hooray to your new healthy popcorn recipe!
(P.S. pop your own ahead of time next time you go to the movies and bring it with you!)